Saturday, August 13, 2011

Thank you for the proposal - a poem

On a trip I have been looking forward to for the past year;
A lady confidant called me up.
I couldn’t take the call and the message was sent across.
It was a proposal.

The submission was not what I expected;
It was somewhat a romantic arrangement
laid out by a couple: the lady confidant and the guy wingman.
I said yes but the contract was not to be effective in a month.

Alas when the inevitable came;
Things did not go as planned.
The group dinner for four was reduced to a trio;
The lady confidant and the guy wingman parted.

But the promise was kept – both were in full backing;
Even as communication between them was nil.
Anxcitement was prevalent:
A third of anxiety and two-thirds of excitement.

Dinner was harmonious and was absent with flatness.
A great time enjoyed and a night well spent.
It felt full of stability and coolness, very calm indeed.
Endearment was creeping.

After the fact was different;
Coolness turned into coldness.
Part of personality?  Or perhaps it comes with age.
Axcitement turned into anxiety.

Regardless of what the outcome may be;
I am beholden to the couple for putting forward the proposal.
Their love and trust have caught me by surprise;
Their love and trust I will truly, truly prize.

PP
14 August 2011

Warning:  This poem is the intellectual property of the author.  Unauthorized reproduction and/or distribution is prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment